Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Are you μ + 3σ?














Panama's Hacienda la Esmeralda has done it again. The winning bid for this year's crop is $130.00 per pound (unroasted coffee beans), and I have already received a solicited email for $99.00 per 1/2 pound of the roasted cherries (if I remember correctly, it is up from $55.00 per 1/2 pound of a different roaster last year).

I like coffee, and I consider myself (knowledge of coffee and cupping ability) as any normal μ + 2σ coffee drinker. So, let me read and hear about it from those hardcore coffee folks. Unless you want to buy me a cup...

4 comments:

Andy Ciordia said...

Wow. I mean I forked over and shared a bag of this last year but for the price to quadruple in a year..

I'm sorry but that feels too much.

The best coffee's we've had last year had beautiful balance and characteristics that held through to the end of the cup, even a cold cup.

What mind blowing revelation are we supposed to grok from the same farm this year? Have it's subtleties made for the ultimate wine comparison? In one years time I can see the cup refining a bit more, but it's going to be the same coffee from last year.

Thinking of refinement, PeterG and I had a talk once on how delicate it all becomes. That if you have a 1000 wine you sometimes won't know until you compare it with a glass of something cheap next to it.

To have this coffee and feel appreciated will I need to have a cup of sanka next to me? hahaha.

Steve said...

Hi Andy,

I hear ya! Also, this parabolic, record setting auction is quite similar to those illiquid stocks. Anytime a big buy ticket comes in, it will spook the market and the price shots up with very little trading volume. It is a struggle to fill the customer’s ticket without paying too much.

Check this out. MikeP pointed this out to me...Pretty cool, eh?? http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/retail/monadnock/05-30-2007

Cheers,

Andy Ciordia said...

Haha lucky bastard. ;)

Steve said...

I know...I am! : )